Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Things I've Found on Gas Meters

Simply for my own amusement, I'm going to create and update a list of things I've found on top of gas meters while doing my leak survey job. This is a list of everything I've seen left resting on gas meters and have remembered enough to record.

Things I've found on gas meters:

  • Lawn Sprinklers (~1) - The top three things I find the most aren't surprising, as they deal with the grooming of one's yard, but I have to wonder, is there really no better place to store these things?
  • Garden Hose Heads ( ~4) - Usually unaccompanied, these hose heads are left on meters either out of convenience, or for lack of a better storage place, hard to say.
  • Garden Hose (~8) - I suppose it's cheaper to wrap your garden hose around the gas meter than to actually go out and buy something to make your yard less cluttered, but who am I to judge...
  • A Brick? (~3) - This one's got me stumped. Once is random. Twice is coincidental. But I'm almost positive I've seen at least three bricks left on top of gas meters, and I can't understand how that would happen. Is it to weigh the meter down a bit, because I'm pretty sure those things aren't defying gravity. How does one end up with one lone brick and decide "Hey, I'm gonna put this on my meter because it has no other purpose to fulfill". I just don't get this one, but that's why I like it.
  • A Piece of Wood (1) - Just like those random bricks, I don't understand how people just leave random stuff all over the place.
  • Extension Cord (~3) - Similar to the garden hose, people just wrap up their extension cords and leave them on the meter.
  • Hockey Tape (1) - I can see how this ends up left outside, and put in the most convenient place at the time, but why can't you bring these kinds of things inside?!
  • Pair of Shoes (1) - This one's pretty good. Who leaves a pair of shoes outside? They looked fine to wear, but what happens if it rains? Why not bring them inside? So weird...
  • Pair of Sandals (1) -
  • Beer Bottle (1) - These two are just bad. I can understand using the meter as a table, but why not actually clean up after yourself and gather the empties, geez...
  • Soft Drink Cup (1) - This one's a bit worse too, it's not even a matter of gathering empties for the refund, it's just not cleaning up garbage, c'mon...
  • Hand Towel (1) - Just a towel to dry your hands, like it was a bathroom.
  • Bags for Folding Chairs (1) - These made me laugh. There was a pair of bags for those fold up lawn chairs hanging on the Supply Line like it was a towel rack, haha.
  • A Magnet (1) -
  • Plastic Bags used as garbage bags (2) -
  • BBQ Grill Brush (1) -
  • Tongs (1) -
  • A Baseball Glove (1) -
  • Zip Ties with attached Tarp (1) -
  • Bike Lock and Chain (1) -
  • Football (1) - Foam
  • Plastic Toy Wolf (1) -

No comments: